Baking for the holidays gets into the spirit and puts you in a good mood. This Halloween, there is no trick to making these ghoulishly delicious cupcakes. Although the recipe is fairly simple, it’s the decorating that brings it to life.
The recipe is a basic vanilla cake batter that we put in spooky cupcake paper cups. The topping is an almond buttercream frosting. The combination is bewitching!
Makes 20 – 25 Cupcakes
* 2 cups flour
* ½ tsp salt
* 2 tsp baking powder
* ½ cup butter, softened
* ¾ cup sugar
* 2 eggs
* 1 cup milk
* 1 tsp vanilla extract1. preheat oven to 375f or 150c; line muffin cups with papers.
2. cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. beat in eggs one at a time.
3. add flour (mixed with baking powder and salt) alternating with milk beat well; stir in vanilla.
4. divide evenly among pans and bake for 18 minutes. let cool in pans.
* 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks) softened not melted. Do not melt the butter in the microwave!
* 3-4 cups confectioners sugar
* 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
* 1 teaspoon almond extract
* 2-3 tablespoons of heavy cream
* a pinch of salt
1. Dump both sticks of butter into your mixing bowl. Starting on low cream the butter with your mixer.
2. Next adding one cup at a time mix the confectioners sugar in with your butter. Mix in between cups to make sure it gets incorporated. Hold off on the 4th cup of sugar for now.
3. Add in 2-3 tablespoons of heavy cream (2 for a thicker, stiffer frosting), salt + the vanilla and almond extracts. Mix well.
You should have a creamy mound of frosting in your mixing bowl. If the consistency is right for your baking project get to it. If you are piping frosting onto cupcakes you may want to add in more confectioners sugar to thicken the frosting just a bit. You want your frosting to hold its shape well and not run off the side of your cupcakes.
Decorate the top of each cupcake with Halloween inspired sprinkles and candy corn.