Several times a year I like to do a month long juice cleanse. The benefits of juicing and using a good juicer are profound. With our grossly nutrient depleted diets, our bodies are suffering and getting mild to life-threatening conditions, all because we are not getting the basic nutrition we need to function optimally. As a result, many are on several medications that don’t necessarily heal but just help cope with your conditions. I’ll use food as medicine first before turning to a pharmaceutical, and this is where juicing comes in.
Most of my close friends juice daily so that they can get their daily dose of veggies and greens. Both are high in fiber, low in sugar, full of micro nutrients that are powerful antioxidants, it feeds the good bacteria in your gut, and helps suppress the growth of yeast, anaerobes, and bad bacteria. The most significant benefits of the vegetables and greens are in the juice you extract. So juicing allows us to amp up the nutrient volume on foods we barely eat enough of daily.
The fruits and veggies below are for one day on my juice cleanse. I always choose organic first if it’s available and I wash all produce thoroughly to remove pesticides, herbicides, insecticides, and other harsh chemicals.
Here’s a top ten list of the benefits of juicing:
1. Easy Assimilation! Juicing has no fiber so your digestive system gets a break and allows the juice to go right to work feeding your cells within a few minutes. I found this results in a surge of energy and overall wellness.
2. Better Nutrient Absorption! A weak digestive system or a digestive disorder such as acid reflux, ulcers, gallstones, lactose intolerance, IBS, Celiac disease, Chrones, or even constipation, allows nutrients to pass through your body without being absorbed.
3. Alkalinity! Juicing promotes an alkaline environment in your body. Acid bodies experience more disease, stress and pain. An alkaline body has better energy, improved immune function, reduced pain and inflammation and may slow the signs of aging.
4. Hydration! Our bodies are made up of 60 – 90% water depending on our age and hydration. Our cells require hydration for optimal function and juicing is a rock star when it comes to replenishing lost fluids. It delivers vitamins, minerals, enzymes, and phytochemicals quickly.
5. Juicing Maintains Micronutrients! In cooked or heated foods, the micronutrients are altered making the tough for your body to absorb them. Raw foods maintain their micronutrient integrity especially if you use a good juicer.
6. Chlorophyll! Found only in plants, it promotes healthy iron levels, encourages healing, promotes cleansing, relieves systemic redness and swelling, effective against yeast, potent antioxidant action, protects DNA from fried foods, and controls hunger, cravings and body odor.
7. Cleansing and Detoxing! Juicing rids your body of toxins by cleansing your digestive tract and colon which allows your metabolism to become more efficient.
8. Antioxidants! Juicing ingredients like fruits, veggies and herbs are loaded with antioxidants which fight free radicals that cause cellular damage, aging, and susceptibility to cancers.
9. Volume! Juicing allows you to ingest a large quantity of fruits and vegetables you could not eat daily in their raw form. Your body will absorb a highly concentrated dose of vitamins, and enzymes that enter your bloodstream rapidly.
10. Healing properties! Juicing allows you to create your own personal prescription for your unique needs, from cancer, heart disease, or other health concerns, to increased energy, strengthened immunity, strong bones, or a glowing complexion.
Each time I do a juice cleanse, I feel so much better! My digestive tract gets a holiday and body gets a chance to rid itself of unwanted toxins and waste that build up over the year. Is it easy? Not always. Sometimes I have a hard time starting, but enjoy it once I’m on a roll. Other times I don’t feel great because my body is purging toxins, but this does pass in a few days. It’s all about commitment to yourself and your body.
There are lots of juicing books and programs that you can follow until you get the swing of this life changing process. I have several books and a few programs that I alternate, so I get a variety of juices and enjoy the process. I also have a phenomenal juicer which makes the whole experience a pleasure. Happy Juicing!